Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I Need Romance

I Need Romance Synopsis: (from DramaWiki)
This bubbly, Sex and the City-esque drama tells the story of the love lives, careers, and families of a group of twenty-and-thirty-something friends. Jo Yeo Jung is In Young, an independent, lovable woman struggling to survive in modern-day society. In this endeavor, which she tackles with confidence and grace, she's helped by friends Seo Yeon (Choi Yeon Jin) and Hyun Joo (Choi Song-hyun).

Cast:
Jo Yeo Jung as Sun Woo In Young
Kim Jung Hoon as Kim Sung Soo
Choi Yeo Jin as Park Seo Yeon
Choi Song Hyun as Kang Hyun Joo
Choi Jin Hyuk as Bae Sung Hyun
Ha Yun Joo as Yoon Kang Hee


My comments:
I can see why I Need Romance (TVN, 16 episodes) is labeled as the Korean version of Sex and the City. The setup and the characters are more or less similar to Sex and the City, even the opening theme is similar. Since this is a cable drama, so expect a racier and edgier usual rom-com exploring relationships.. So here, we have a group of three friends consisting of In Young, Hyun Joo and Seo Yeon, all three thirty-something career women having different experiences and approaches in love. Just imagine In Young as Carrie, Seo Yeon as a toned down Samantha and Hyun Joo as a balance between Miranda and Charlotte…

I absolutely enjoyed the friendship of the three ladies; they supported each other through rough times and they do crazy stuff together. However, watching this drama is a weird viewing experience in which but I didn’t really root anyone to end up with anyone. I didn’t especially like any of the characters although I felt for In Young when her shameless boyfriend Sung Soo cheated on her [again]. It’s dreadful to watch her from suspecting to confirming Sung Soo’s cheating. Sung Soo was pretty much a jerk for a major part of the drama. He wasn’t sincerely sorry for what he did and to make up to In Young, he can let her “cheat” also with two guys so that they can be even; therefore, they can be back together. WHAT?!

A lot of people are frustrated with who she chose at the end, although I’m not supportive of that ending, I can see why she made that decision. If you ask me, I’d rather she remains single like Seo Yeon. If Seo Yeon is still alone at the end, why not In Young as well? At first, I like how Hyun Joo and Duk Soo’s story started but why oh why did he have to slap her? She was being inconsiderate but that slap was just too much.

The acting was good all around. I’m happy to see Kim Jung Hoon improving and maturing as an actor and also for choosing to act such an unlikable character as his post-military project. The music used in this drama was nice and suited the mood of the drama.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ѕweet blog! I found it whіlе ѕearching on Yahoo News.
Do you havе anу tips οn how to gеt lіstеԁ in Yahoo Newѕ?
I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks

Feel free to visit my page :: dangers of smoking legal incense (http://wikigpia.info/index.php?title=Hi_Octaine_Party_Pills)