Friday, June 6, 2008

An Empress and the Warriors

An Empress and the Warriors Synopsis: (from Yesasia)
The story is set in ancient China before its unification, during which countless kingdoms battle for supremacy. Yen Feier [Kelly Chen] is thrust onto the throne when her father is killed in battle. Feier and her loyal Muyong Xuehu [Donnie Yen] unite to defend the kingdom. But her ambitious cousin Wu Ba [Guo Xiao-dong] sends assassins to kill her. A mysterious man Duan Lan-Quan [Leon Lai] saves her. Feier falls in love with Duan who offers her another life. With the fate of their kingdom in the balance, Feier must choose between her duty and her dreams.


My comments:
Yeah, another movie with people in the shining armor, how exciting! An Empress and the Warriors offers nothing new but a fresh cast, who you would normally not see in a period movie. Story wise, it’s still the same stuff about kingdoms at war and that there is always someone ambitious in the troop; therefore, they kill each other. Right, expect a dramatic ending. I think this movie is very empty, I really couldn’t connect with the characters as you really have little background about them. At the end, I just don’t care. Decent action though.

Kelly Chen did the best she could, you can see she put a lot of effort in the fighting and looking tough but she didn’t do well overall. She’s really not suitable for a period movie, so is Leon Lai. I felt like laughing everytime Leon pops up on screen and I have the feeling that he was sleepwalking and he was bored in the entire movie. Their courtship/love story is just so cheesy and “modern” that is so out of place in the ancient context. Now Donnie Yen, he’s a cool guy and all but I always had some problems with him as an actor. A lot of his previous movies, he modeled more than acted. Here, he still fights cool and poses cool, even at his final moments, he still has his hair flying floppily...haha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donny Yen rocks! Nice face and body! Kelly Chen looks like a man throughout the movie, always reminded me of her brother (Victor.) I'm from T.O. and the version I bought was the Manderine version. You? You have very good reviews Yih! I googled and your blog was one of the links... are you a movie critique in real life??????

Yih said...

Hi, thanks for checking out my blog!!!

No, I'm not a movie critic, I'm just an ordinary couch potato who enjoys watching movies/tv and listening to music. :)

I saw the Mandarin version as well...