Saturday, September 6, 2008

Upcoming movies

Being a bit disconnected with HK cinema lately so I was updating myself for future releases this year. Well, HK cinema is not entirely dead yet...at least there are still some movies that seem worth checking out. I'm posting this so that I'll remember these titles for future rents or purchases. :D

Lady Cop & Papa Crook (大搜查之女)
Cast: Sammi Cheng, Eason Chan, Michelle Ye, Chapman To
My reasons to watch: Sammi's comeback and it's by the people behind Infernal Affairs. Sammi + Eason should be a refreshing duo to watch. Looks like I will have some fun time spotting cameos.

Painted Skin (畫皮)
Cast: Vicki Zhao, Zhou Xun, Donnie Yen, Aloys Chen
My reasons to watch: Technically, I'm not sure if it's an HK production since most of the cast and crew are from Mainland. I tried to read this story from the 聊斋 collection but it was too hard to read so I abandoned. Anyway, it's by a cast that I'm fond of and it looks creepy.

Connected (保持通話)
Cast: Louis Koo, Barbie Hsu, Nick Cheung, Liu Ye
My reasons to watch: Louis Koo! Hehe...that aside, director Benny Chan's movies are guaranteed to be action packed and it's Da S' first HK movie.

Butterfly Lovers (武俠梁祝)/ 2nd trailer with dialogues
Cast: Wu Zun, Charlene Choi, Hu Ge, Harlem Yu
My reasons to watch: The trailer did boost up my expectations. It looks really dark and moody and of course, tragic. I'm curious how they will change this classic story and fusion it with martial arts.

2 comments:

p.w. said...

'lady cop & papa cook' seems interesting, even if it's the same old kidnapping story. i don't think i've ever seen sammi cheng in a police role.

what is the story of 'painted skin'? i cannot tell from that vague trailer.

the premise of 'connected' seems good; i hope the ending won't suck. but was there not a similar american movie a few years ago?

'butterfly lovers' seems alright. by the way, the link for the second trailer is broken.

Yih said...

hey p,

painted skin => you'll get an idea of what the story is about here, there are changes in the movie version

connected => it is indeed an hk remake of the american movie

fixed the second trailer of butterfly lovers