Thursday, September 4, 2008

When a Dog Loves a Cat

I remember having interest in watching When a Dog Loves a Cat (20 episodes) when I saw the little preview during the sales presentation but oh boy...

When a Dog Loves a Cat Synopsis: (from DramaWiki)
Chow Chi Yu runs a pound. Her whole family knows a lot about the animals and loves to take care of them. One day, she brings home a dog that was abandoned on the street. Unfortunately, the dog is ill and infects the other dogs in the pound, almost destroying her business. At the same time she meets Miu Jun, the man whom she realizes had left the sickly dog on the street. Of course this makes her despise him and so the two of them are always fighting with each other.

Cast:
Gallen Lo as Miu Jun (MC)
Myolie Wu as Chow Tze Yu (Chow Chow)
David Lui as Chow Tze Tsim
Margie Tsang as Sui Tin Lan (Tina)
Benice Liu as Man Chi Kei (Kit)
Raymond Wong as Ying Hoi Leung (Carson)
Tracy Yip as Cheung Ka Ka


My comments:
I thought that When a Dog Loves a Cat is only average. Being a 'comeback' drama of Gallen Lo, it's a bit disappointing. It's only of those dramas that you saw but wouldn't remember much next year. Anyway, the message is good about how pets can change and cure people and how people should not abandon them, etc. The interactions between the pets are cute to watch although I thought that the voice dubbing of the pets a little too cutesy. I find myself liking Can Can, the cat more than Siu Ba, the dog, ha! The drama title references when Siu Ba loves Can Can and when MC loves Chow Chow...

The beginning was okay but after 15 episodes, the drama drags and doesn't have much story, which mostly revolves around how MC pushes away those around him after he learned his illness. It turned out to be manipulative at the end and I wasn't as moved as they want us to be although the final episode was a sobber. I also had problems characters development. Some characters just changes a little too fast, it's like they realized what they did was not right and then just have this 180 degrees change in a snap, so fast that I cannot digest it. A lot of people were complaining about the ending but I'm actually fine with it. Not all romantic comedies have to end happily ever after.

The acting of the cast is also average. I felt that this time they are mostly reprising roles that they previously acted. I didn't have much surprise in terms of acting. Maybe because it was filmed during the summer, you can clearly see everyone looking tired and worn out. The Gallen and Myolie pairing is very odd, not because of their actual age difference but because of their memorable siblings relationship in Golden Faith. Whenever I see them together, I have images of them in Golden Faith, so it distracted me a bit watching them in romantic scenes. Therefore, I wouldn't mind if Chow Chow ends with Carson although he's a playboy and a bad boyfriend at first. Carson was more interesting to watch than MC. I like the arrogant MC who shouts "Wrong! All wrong!" at the beginning more than the selfless MC at the end, which become a boring character.

If you really want to watch cute dogs and cats, go ahead. If not, you're not really missing anything.

* Themesong of the drama

1 comment:

icefreak said...

yea i agree with you. cancan is one of a cat you will adore in the end. from episode 15 onwards the storyline was too draggy cos it focuses too much on gallen trying hide his sickness from everyone. And the funeral part, how to fake death? Nevertheless i like this show cos i like animals, and this drama teaches me that there is true love and reality.