Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Four

I think The Four (TVB, 23 episodes) is the 4th TVB drama I finished so far this year...

The Four Synopsis: (from DramaWiki)
Based on the novel by Wen Rui An, the drama is centered around four extremely skilled assassins/detectives who are hired by the Chinese Emperor to arrest and execute any criminals roaming through the country.

Cast:
Raymond Lam as Mo Ching
Kenneth Ma as Tit Sau
Sammul Chan as Jui Ming
Ron Ng as Lang Huet
Dominic Lam as Chu Kot Jing Ngor
Kate Tsui as Song Ji Yin
Selena Li as Nam Yeuk Fei
Vivi Lee as Tit Yau Dung
Cilia Kung as Ling Siu Do


My comments:
I watched The Four for the reunion of the four main actors and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's a highly watchable drama. Watching this drama is like watching a fusion of ancient Detective Investigation Files and Wesley Files. At least, I didn't expect to see a 'zombie' case in drama like this. The cases were quite interesting and complex although that in every case, the finding of evidences are overly coincidental. One thing to bash is the fighting; it looks really fake and cheap, overly computer animated but that was always a TVB problem. The scenery are breathtaking though.

A lot complained about the casting of the actresses since they are not really on par with the lead actors. True, the actresses are mostly inexperienced, especially Vivi Lee and Cilia Kung who play the love interests of Sammul Chan and Ron Ng respectively. That didn't really bother me that much because this is a drama focusing on the guys and the girls didn't have much to do, except to be saved. One thing that I like is that there are no messy triangle/square relationships. They only developed Mo Ching/Ji Yin and Tit Sau/Yeuk Fei's relationship. The other two pairs are underdeveloped but I'm a bit confused if there was even love involved for these two pairs; they seem more like siblings to me. Kate Tsui and Selena Li had more screentime and more meatier roles. I see improvements in Selena but I think that Kate is terrible here. She's not suitable for ancient dramas, she comes off as awkward most of the time and the way she delivered her lines is like she's reading straight from the script. I know that she has to have the heartless tone as an assassin but does she have to be that robotic as doctor Song as well. However, I have to admit that her farewell scene with Raymond Lam was very well done and that was the only time I had some feelings for her.

I find myself liking the character Tit Sau the most in the entire drama. I like the earlier part of Mo Ching when he's emotionless. It's cute to see him opening up to everyone and give a little smile later on but he really lost his coolness once he's in love with Ji Yin. I'm a bit disappointed at how Mo Ching is blinded by love, trusting and letting Ji Yin go after countless betrayals. Oh boy, she did a lot of awful things! Watching Mo Ching like that makes me want to throw stuffs at the TV (even if Raymond Lam looks really good in this drama :p) It's a pity that both Jui Ming and Lang Huet didn't have as much character development. I enjoy watching the four guys together, from how they despise each other to their bonding to finally becoming the best partners. The ending is rushed just like any drama, there wasn't really a closure...

It's not a bad drama afterall...

* Themesong of the drama

No comments: