Thursday, October 23, 2008

Jay Chou - Capricorn

I just got Jay's 9th album Capricorn (魔杰座), the pre-ordered version with the metal box and this magic cube. Contrary to what others say, I think this is the best album he had in recent years. Yes, it's not that innovative and creative but it sparked me on the first listen and there is only one song that I would skip; that means I love 10/11 songs in this album! It's a cute and happy album...

Just a few observations:
- He still has his unique mumbling-singing but his vocal is different in each song and that's a surprise.
- He balances his old stuffs with new genres in this album but sometimes, each song reminds me too much of his previous works and there are songs that seem other singers would sing but not Jay himself.


01. 龍戰騎士 - A game song along the line like 半獸人, I think it sounds like a song that Taiwan boybands such as K-One, 5566 or Fahrenheit would sing...

02. 給我一首歌的時間 - Vintage love ballad type of song from Jay, I see resemblance to 我不配.

03. 蛇舞 - Indian flavored type of song, a genre he didn't try before if I remember correctly.

04. 花海 - A simple song in terms of melody and arrangement but it's his mourning/crying way of singing that makes me have goosebumps.

05. 魔術先生 - The most rich song in terms of arrangement, has connection to 牛仔很忙, since the 不用麻煩了 不用麻煩了 part was included.

06. 說好的幸福呢 - The only song that I would like to skip, it's a yawn for me.

07. 蘭亭序 - The only 中國風 song and I don't know why but I can imagine Anson Hu singing this song.

08. 流浪詩人 - From the title, I thought it would be a slow ballad but no it's an upbeat song.

09. 時光機 - Another vintage ballad...

10. 喬克叔叔 - A Latin flavored type of song, just listening to the intro, I thought that I was listening to a Marc Anthony song!

11. 稻香 - The sound of insects and kids make this song comfortable, it has the 七里香 feel.

2 comments:

p.w. said...

ooh... pretty packaging!

awesome cube (says the geek in me).

is that a 2-disc album, or is that a dvd?

Yih said...

cd + dvd :)