Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Last One Standing

Last One Standing (21 episodes) is my fifth TVB drama that I finished this year...not bad as I only finished one last year...

Last One Standing Synopsis: (from DramaWiki)
Cheung Sing Hei was sent to prison for murdering his stepfather. The key witness of the case turns out to be his cousin Tong Lap Yeen. Ten years later, Sing Hei is released from prison. Lap Yeen is now one of the most influential people in the city while Sing Hei's reputation and future are in ruins. Feeling extremely frustrated and harboring suspicions about the case ten years ago, he is desperate to find out the truth behind his stepfather's death. After some investigation, Sing Hei realizes who the real killer is, but there appears to be no motive. More importantly, evidence is also lacking. This story is about how Sing Hei exposes the truth and ultimately proves his innocence.

Cast:
Kevin Cheng as Cheung Sing Hei
Roger Kwok as Tong Lap Yeen
Yoyo Mong as Lei Pui Ka (Carmen)
Kiki Sheung as Lau Kit Yee
Ellesmere Choi as Yeung Kin Yip
Yvonne Ho as Cheung Chung Si
Macy Chan as Ma Ngoi Lam (Kelly)


My comments:
I heard a lot of good things about Last One Standing so I was curious what it was all about. Boy, it was an intense drama! It was suspenseful but you know right from the beginning who is the true villain. It's the process of how to find the evidence that is exciting; it had a lot of moments where I was like "Oh no!". The drama was nicely built up in the beginning but watching the beginning can be very tiring as there are a lot shouting, yelling and kicking.

Seriously, I'm pretty impressed by Kevin Cheng's performance this time. I never considered him a good actor but he gave a more than fine performance. Hei is a psychologically complex character, very boiled up with lots of rage and anger and I felt his desperation. It's interesting to see him changing from a character full of rage to a calm 'actor' gathering evidences against Yin. I rooted for him all the way. Kevin's character is a great contrast to Roger's character. Roger Kwok is also very good as Mr. Nice Guy on the surface but deep down is a crazy monster. Once, you learn more and more about Yin, he becomes creepier. Everytime he gives that sinister smile, I have chills. What he did to his adoptive family is just beyond shocking! I believe that he really love his family and Carmen but when everyone turned against him, he becomes this psycho maniac. Sigh...money is evil! The actresses are a disappointment. Yoyo Mung didn't have much to do here and I didn't really care about her relationship with either Kevin or Roger and I'm glad that there isn't really a closure in their relationship because after all the things that happened, it's really hard for Hei and Carmen to be together. Yvonne Ho as Kevin's sister was almost unbearable, a very over the top performance and luckily she had less screentime toward the end. Macy Chan is still very raw in acting and is completely miscast as the mature accountant and as the woman who's deeply in love with Kevin.

I'm pretty satisfied with the ending, although the last scene can cause nightmares. I swear this drama has the horror/slasher movie feel! My biggest problem with the drama is how can Hei get sentenced 13 years for manslaughter but Yin, who committed more crimes get such a low jail sentence? Worse of all, viewers can see that he isn't remorseful. Potential sequel? No please!

Note: Seeing Kevin and Roger against each other in this drama reminds me that they worked together as buddies in that wacky drama Not Just A Pretty Face... :p

* Themesong of the drama

No comments: