Tuesday, April 17, 2007

200 Pounds Beauty

I saw 200 Pounds Beauty, a Korean movie starring Kim Ah Joong and Joo Jin Mo, which created a lot of buzz last year. I think I also read how plastic surgeons were so busy thanks to this movie. (Ha!)


Synopsis (from http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr)
Hanna is a lip sync vocalist for Ami, the famous Korean pop singer. Even though she is always ignored because of her appearance, she has been a bright and lighthearted girl until Amy humiliates her in front of Sang-jun, her secret love. At last she makes a decision of a lifetime to have plastic surgery all over her body. Her unrequited love gets any return?

My comments:
I didn’t have high expectations for this movie because I thought that it would be something like HK’s Love On A Diet and TVB’s To Grow With Love. I actually like 200 Pounds Beauty. There is more than the message “It’s the heart that counts more than physical appearance.” This movie touches the taboo subject of plastic surgery as well. I’m not a 100 % supporter of plastic surgery but I think Hanna in the movie have no choice but to do it. She is blessed with a nice voice but because she’s physically unattractive, the chance of her succeeding is very slim. Yup, we’re all very shallow…

I had tears in my eyes when she had her makeover and I cried my eyes out when she confessed everything on stage. I’m still thinking whether the movie is trying to support plastic surgery or not. I like the ending…it didn’t have a definite closure. There is no further development between Hanna and Sang Jun's love realtionship and while Hanna has her fame and fans, she also has her share of antis...

No comments: