Sunday, April 1, 2007

Hana Kimi

I just completed Hana Kimi, a 15 episodes Taiwanese drama. I only watch Taiwanese dramas occasionally because while watching them, I have to endure a lot of things. The things that bother me in general about these idol dramas is the actors/actresses’ comic-style portrayal of their characters (a simpler word => overacting) and the use of annoying and unfunny sound effects.

My little summary:
One day, Rui Xi (Ella from S.H.E) saw Quan (Wu Zun from Fahrenheit) high jumping on television in the U.S.; she was so amazed that she decides to return to Taiwan to meet and to be close to her “idol”. In order to do so, she has to disguise as a boy to attend the same school because Quan attends an all boy school. She is successfully transferred to the same school and even better becomes his roommate.

At first, Quan is annoyed by her behavior but discovers that she’s a girl very early from an accident. The same accident makes the school doctor know about that secret as well. Quan keeps silent about knowing the fact that Rui Xi is a girl (he didn’t even tell her that he knows); thus, he covers her up and comes to her rescue whenever there’s the danger of her identity being exposed. Of course, his love for her grows stronger as it goes on.

At school, Rui Xi becomes friends with a few guys; the closest one is Xiu Yi (Jiro Wang from Fahrenheit). Xiu Yi never knew that Rui Xi is in fact a girl but started to have “special feelings” for her very early as well. As these feelings grow stronger, the poor guy is confused about his sexual orientation and even thinks that he’s gay! As the drama went on, a few people know Rui Xi’s secret but they kept silent too after knowing her reasons. So will Quan and Rui Xi have a happy ending?

Cast:
Ella as Lu Rui Xi
Wu Zun as Zuo Yi Quan
Jiro Wang as Jin Xiu Yi
Tang Yu Zhe as Liang Si Nan
Tang Zhi Ping as Mei Tian


My comment:
I didn't read the manga so I cannot compare how faithful this adaptation is. Judging the drama alone, I think Hana Kimi is an above average drama. 15 episodes is a good length, not too short and not too long. One of my friends is absolutely head over heels over Wu Zun after this drama, but strangely I’m not. Yes, I know…he’s cute, is tall, has a good body and has cool tattoos but…Even more strange is that I was more drawn to Jiro Wang’s character because he’s more fun although he can go overboard with the silliness. Nope, I’m still not a fan of Fahrenheit…yet. My absolute favorite character is Mei Tian, the school doctor. Every scene with him is guaranteed to have laughter. The ending can be a major letdown to some people but I find it acceptable.

No comments: