Tuesday, April 3, 2007

3 Melodramas

I watched 3 melodramas from 3 different countries, involving similar theme and even a similar ending: Love Phobia (South Korea, 2006), Heavenly Forest (Japan, 2006) and Happy Birthday (HK, 2007). After watching countless melodramas, I thought that I became immune to them. Boy, I was wrong…I’m still a crybaby when it comes to tearjerkers!

Love Phobia (with Cho Seung Woo and Kang Hye Jung)
Summary in short: Guy and girl like each other since young but they only get to meet 3 times in 10 years because girl keeps disappearing without a word.

Comment: Typical melodrama which might be boring to others but I liked it thanks to the pair of charismatic leads. I prefer the first half when it’s light and happy while the later half is very heavy, but still effective. I’m confused about the ending; I think I got it but I’m not sure I got it right.

Side note: Cho Seung Woo and Kang Hye Jung were still a couple when making this movie. They just broke up recently. Sigh…what a waste; they are such a lovely couple.


Heavenly Forest (with Tamaki Hiroshi and Miyazaki Aoi)
Summary in short: Girl loves guy but guy just treats her like a friend. He realizes that he truly loves her after kissing her and it was too late already because she disappeared without a word.

Comment: It’s not hard to guess what the ending will be from reading the synopsis. I was all prepared for the sad news but when it came, it’s still very poignant. The most heartbreaking part is when he was in the exhibition and saw her picture...That moment was like “whoa” for me! The movie had beautiful scenery of nature.


Happy Birthday (with Louis Koo and Rene Liu)
Summary in short: Guy and girl love each other but because of girl’s stubbornness and insecurities, they carried an on-off relationship for 7 years. No matter what, the guy will always send birthday greetings the girl until...

Comment: My mind was away a few times while watching this movie. It’s a bit slow but I find it less manipulative compared to the other 2 movies above. The ending is not that shocking because they did give obvious hints during the movie. After finishing it, I feel bitterness for them.

No comments: