Monday, January 7, 2008

Khalil Fong - Wonderland

About the album cover: I was questioning about what’s with those two blue rock thingy on the side because it didn’t look nice at all. Never judge too quickly because it’s actually a creative design…the blue spots are actually from the CD inside and the booklet has holes to make it see through!


My first impression without looking at the lyrics yet: all songs seem similar to each other and it’s a more “Westernized” album. I couldn’t find any Chinese flavor, where did his trademark er-hu arrangement go? This album reminds of his first album Soulboy in terms of style.

However, after listening to the album for 2 days on constant repeat and reading the lyrics attentively, I love it more and more. Like his previous album, Wonderland still has ‘love’ as a main concept but Khalil’s stuffs are never cheesy, it always come out as very natural, soothing and elegant. It’s still a very smooth and groovy album. My favorite tracks:

Love Song => A simple love song with a lot of hidden meanings in the lyrics. In the lyrics, there are a lot of references of other famous love songs. It has a very warm feeling.

暖 => A song about how global warming is affecting people and romance. Winter is getting shorter, the fear of no more snowflakes to watch and with hot temperature, people don’t want to embrace, etc…

愛在 => I giggled when I heard the first 2 lines but then when I continue listening while reading the lyrics carefully at the same time, I cried. The lyrics are beautifully-written: “Love is here and everywhere”, but not everybody owns it. This is like a sister song to 愛愛愛.

公園 => A more upbeat song with a more “naughty” feel. I have the feeling that it’s the sequel song to 認識你.

十九八七.... => The most interesting song of the album as the song has 2 parts with 2 different feels; it’s like you’re listening to 2 songs. The first 3 minutes is soft, slow and gentler and then the remaining 2 minutes are more “explosive” and angry (?)…

未來 => Heavy beat in this song and I like the arrangement. Interesting enough, Fama wrote the lyrics.

愛愛愛 (Acoustic Version) => I had doubts about an acoustic version of this song. I didn’t like the re-arranged intro but the song gets better and better later.

Hmmm…now I guess that I have to wait another year for Khalil to release his next album lah…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's a very good review! Thanks. I wish I understood mandarin that why I wouldn't need to translated into canto pinyin. Maybe I'll just ask my parents to read the lyrics outloud to me but then that's just weird ><