Monday, October 11, 2010

You're Beautiful

Voila, the drama that gave me heavy withdrawal symptoms lately...You're Beautiful ( SBS, 16 episodes)...

You’re Beautiful Synopsis: (from DramaWiki)
The management company of the idol group A.N.JELL insisted on adding a new singer to the group as the lead vocal, Tae Kyung's voice was hurting. However,the new member, Mi Nam, had to go to the States to repair a botched eye job just before signing the contract. His agent came up with the idea of having his twin sister, Mi Nyu,to stand in for him and pretend that she was her brother. The two of them grew up in an orphanage and Mi Nyu, who was all set to become a nun, agreed to this charade as she didn't want to spoil her brother's chance of fame which would make it easier to look for their mother.

Cast:
Jang Geun Suk as Hwang Tae Kyung
Park Shin Hye as Go Mi Nam (Male) / Go Mi Nyu (Female)
Lee Hong Ki as Kang On Yu / Jeremy
Jung Yong Hwa as Kang Shin Woo
UEE as Yoo He Yi
Jung Chan as President Ahn


My comments:
Ah…where to start. I adore You're Beautiful! I’m still having withdrawal symptoms after finishing the drama last month (I’m a really late camper, I know). I also had a second rewatch without fast-forwarding, which is something I rarely do. See my enthusiasm?!

I watched it without much expectation. The first episode was alright as there are some things I have to get used to: 1) lead actor Jang Geun Suk wearing eyeliner and having a weird hairstyle (who I absolutely didn't recognize since I saw him in Lovers in Prague as Jeon Do Yeon's cute little bro) and 2) the cast wearing questionable outfits (I know that the characters are from a boyband but the fashion in Korean dramas never fail to shock). However, things really get interesting after the second episode with Tae Kyung knowing that Mi Nyu is in fact a girl. Then, the rest is pure fun. For a Korean drama, it was not at all draggy. There were a lot of LOL moments which still bring a smile on my face whenever I think about it. Example 1, 2 and 3, just to name a few.

The cast is really great and they have good chemistry as bandmates and as the parties of this cute square love relationship; I love their camaradeie. If it isn’t a norm that the lead actress has to end up with the lead actor, I wouldn’t mind Mi Nyu ending up with Shin Woo or Jeremy too. Tae Kyung should be someone who is hard to be with; he’s a control and neat freak, is allergic to seafood, sesame AND flowers, has night blindness and hates rabbits; but who can resist him when he smiles, pouts and when he creates the pig-rabbit. Shin Woo is the caring, understanding and gentle one whereas Jeremy is the sunshine boy. It’s especially heartwarming to see the trio treating Mi Nyu like a princess when she’s a girl and even when she was posing as a guy whereas National Fairy He Yi is getting the cold shoulders. Haha! It’s also nice that each sang to her to confess their love to Mi Nyu…aw….By the way, the OST is equally addictive, I’ve been looping it for quite some time now.

Now, a little nitpicking. Park Shin Hye did great in this drama but there is no way that she can pass for a guy because of her feminine features and her petite frame. I was a bit disappointed that the ending lacked some sweet moments from the couple…

* Opening credit of the drama

2 comments:

p.w. said...

hey, i started watching this last night, and... let's just say i didn't get much sleep.

i really enjoyed the first couple of episodes. the story is light, everyone is cute, and there are so many funny moments (like that oldboy reference). i feel like i am starting to get into the middle dragging parts, with the secret loves, jealousy, blackmail, pretend relationship, etc. i can't wait until the end to see how everything turns out, although it probably won't be much of a surprise.

thank you for suggesting this series as my first k-drama!

Yih said...

Hey p.w,

Oh wow, you already started keke!

I'm still in swoon mode when thinking about the drama despite the fact that the cast is younger than my youngest cousin (your bro) haha...!