Monday, July 30, 2007

Bad Couple

I lack motivation to do things these days because of the H-O-T weather. Still managed to complete Bad Couple (SBS, 16 epidodes), which cheered me up a bit.

Bad Couple Synopsis (from DramaWiki)
Choi Gi Chan is an University Botanic Professor with the "perfect genes." The drama is about an editor of a fashion magazine, Kim Dang Ja, who suddenly develops an urge to have her own baby despite opposing the idea of marriage. The story will talk about Dang Ja striving to look for a man with perfect genes to accomplish her mission. Gi Chan happens to be her "target" in order for her to accomplish her mission. The story later develops as Dang Ja must persuade him to do it without any commitments, which is a problem because Gi Chan doesn't believe in the idea of sex before marriage.

Cast:
Ryu Soo Young as Choi Gi Chan
Shin Eun Gyung as Kim Dang Ja
Byun Jung Soo as Na Dol Soon
Kim Ha Kyoon as Jo Yong Goo
Yoo Gun as Seo Jung Soo
Choi Jung Yoon as Han Young
Park Sang Min as Kim Yoon Seok
Chae Min Seo as Kim Sae Yeon

My comments:
At first glance, Bad Couple looks similar to TVB’s La Femme Desperado with both heroines being an independent career woman, not trusting men but wanting a child of their own, therefore hunting for the perfect genes. Later, differences between these two dramas are noticeable as Bad Couple is going to a more serious and drama side.

I’ve been through an emotional rollercoaster ride watching this drama. At first it started hilarious and funny with Dang Ja’s silly and embarrassing tactics to seduce Gi Chan. Then, it turns sad and dramatic with Dang Ja’s illness coming to the picture but there is still some comical moments here and there. I was crying a lot during the later half once I’m attached to the character Dang Ja. I might not agree wholly with her actions and decisions but I tried to picture myself in her position, trying to understand her.

Ah…Gi Chan…what perfect man! I don’t think such man still exists nowadays, there are probably more Yoon Seoks (cheating husband) existing in this world (sigh…). I’ll remember Gi Chan’s film rolls love confession for some time…Lee Dong Wook was originally casted as Gi Chan but he backed out and now thinking about it, I couldn’t picture him as a mature botanic professor as he really looks too young for that role.

I wasn’t too into Joon Soo/Han Young/Yoon Seok/Sae Yeon side story. Whenever Yoon Seok and Sae Yeon are on-screen together, my blood boils. I didn’t feel a lot of sparks between Han Young and Joon Soo and I wasn’t convinced that they are really in love. But it’s always amusing to see Yoon Seok ajusshi getting jealous and irritated…haha!

The last episode tends to drag a bit and a big part of the drama focuses on how critical Dang Ja’s situation is but everything is resolved by a “sudden miracle” and you’ll just go ‘yeah right!’. But since this is a good and well acted drama overall, I’ll just close my eyes on the flaws…

* Opening credit of the drama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are а bunch of ѵolunteers
аnd stаrting a brаnԁ new scheme in our communitу.
Your website ргovided us with valuable informаtiοn to work on.
Үou have ρerformеԁ a formidable ϳоb anԁ
our whole cоmmunіty can be grateful to you.


Alsо visit my website :: Seo Firm dallas