Monday, July 23, 2007

A post about TVB

A friend of mine who knows me for a long time commented that my blog is mostly about Korean stuffs, calling me a "traitor" of TVB and HK stuff...hehe...right, I admit that I am! While I still listen to Chinese songs, I'm just not as enthusiastic about HK dramas and movies as I used to be.

Speaking of TVB, it was really my ultimate favorite station for HK dramas back then but end up being a station that I boycott now. Seriously, I was such a fan of TVB, watching almost every single released drama in the 90s to completing only 3 last year and not even finishing one from this year! Yup, I did not even watch Heart of Greed despite the hype.

Why I can’t stand watching TVB now?

- The actresses => I think I have low tolerance of the actresses of the station. Forget about the newer ones, even the first rate leading actresses’ acting is ‘scary’. Watch them cry and you’ll see what I mean. As you can see, TVB tends to favor actresses with weak voices nowadays, which put me off.

- The ‘freshness’ of the combination of the cast => I understand that TVB is one station but c’mon putting the same 2 actors/actresses in like 6-7 dramas together within 4 years is soooooo refreshing (roll eyes…)! Want example? Here you go:

Moses Chan + Gigi Lai appeared in:
Riches and Stitches
War and Beauty
Healing Hands 3
The Charm Beneath
Dance of Passion
Super Cops
Jewel’s Splendor

How about the Bowie Lam and Moses Chan combo:
Healing Hands 2
War and Beauty
Healing Hands 3
Dance of Passion
Jewel’s Splendor

- The music/themesongs => TVB likes to recycle their background music, fine. But can they be more considerate of their viewers when it comes to themesongs? By pushing its own artists to sing the themesongs is just so annoying. No wonder you cannot find memorable themesongs these days. If they are actors, let them focus on acting instead of “trying” to make them multi-tasked. What’s the point of pushing them to be singers, giving them awards at JSG and then getting booed on stage?!

P.S. Some people think that I’m nitpicking TVB productions. Maybe it’s true since I’m too spoiled by the detailed and beautifully packaged Korean productions that I can’t help it. No matter how bad the Korean drama is, at least the scenery of the drama or the OST can be a redeeming factor. I cannot say the same about TVB. However, I know it’s unfair to compare TVB (that’s one station) and Korean television (they have multiple channels producing dramas). Okay, enough blabbing now....

2 comments:

p.w. said...

i agree with your comment about the tvb actresses; some of them land starring roles, despite being terrible at acting, which ruins my enjoyment of the entire series.

in fact, i find that a lot of the newer generation of actors (both male and female) deliver performances that range from 'meh...' to 'ugh!' i sometimes wonder how some of these people got cast.

also, tvb seems to recycle plotlines too...

yet somehow, i find myself still watching some of the tvb series... perhaps it's because of the familiarity?

Yih said...

hey cousin,

hoho...i'm glad that you agree with me *wink ~ wink*