Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Capital Scandal

I originally didn’t plan to watch Capital Scandal (KBS, 16 episodes) but after hearing the themesong, it looks like a fun drama. So here I am, finishing another drama in 3 days!

Capital Scandal Synopsis (from DramaWiki)
Han Ji Min as Na Yu Kyung is the owner of a book store and she is also a lobbyist. This drama is based on the novel “Sad Story of the Capital” written by Lee Sun Mi. It portrays a love story that happened in the 1930s. Kang Ji Hwan as Sun Woo Wan is the youngest son of a rich and famous family and he is involved in the independence movement. Ryu Jin will portray Lee Soo Hyun, a Chosun person, who rises amongst the ranks of the government. Han Go Eun is Cha Song Joo, a famous bar hostess in one of the top class restaurants.

Cast:
Kang Ji Hwan as Sun Woo Wan
Han Ji Min as Na Yu Kyung
Ryu Jin as Lee Soo Hyun
Han Go Eun as Cha Song Joo


My comments:
I expected Capital Scandal to be a serious political and historical drama but I was wrong! Besides history and politics, it has romance (of course!), mystery, tragedy and action with guns (not very frequent in Korean dramas!). It has a lot of comedic scenes thanks to Kang Ji Hwan’s character Sun Woo Wan. It’s so funny to see him exasperated when Yu Kyung doesn’t fall for his charms. They make a cute pair but I thought Soo Hyun and Song Joo were more interesting to watch. They are more restrained as a couple but I find it touching how much they care about each other deep down without the need of openly expressing it. Song Joo is my favorite character; she’s a calm, smart, sexy, cool gisaeng and I was so sad about her ending…Song Joo and Wan’s friendship is absolutely one of the best that I’ve seen in Korean dramas, it’s not love but that bonding and understanding that they share is just so natural and convincing.

I think that this drama gets better as it progresses. It’s not hard to guess who the leader of the assassination clan but there are some surprises that are thrown. Now, just one tiny flaw or complaint. It seems that all the characters talk casually about things that should be secrets in public places like there is no such thing called “eavesdropping”. How on earth can they not be heard when they are actually yelling?! It makes me question the competence of the police. While I had a good time admiring the beautiful and colorful hanboks and dresses that Han Go Eun wear, I also had a good laugh at what Kang Ji Hwan wears because his shirts were so outrageously flashy in pastel colors! Er…

I can’t help it, I just like Song Joo and her wardrobe so much…

Song Joo in kimono

Song Joo in hanbok

Song Joo in modern dress

* Opening credit of the drama

Pics from KBS

No comments: