Friday, August 31, 2007

Coffee Prince

Finished Coffee Prince (MBC, 17 episodes) 2 days ago and I’m happy to announce that I didn’t have withdrawal symptoms yet…hehe!

Coffee Prince Synopsis (from DramaWiki)
The life of Go Eun Chan (Yoon Eun Hye) is not easy; she works many jobs to pay off debts and even gave up her feminine image. Choi Han Kyul (Gong Yoo) is the heir of a big food company, but his grandmother wants him to settle down, so she arranged many dates for him. After Eun Chan bumped into Han Kyul and was mistaken for a boy, Han Kyul decided to hire Eun Chan to be his gay lover in order to avoid the arranged dates. Desperately in need of money, Eun Chan had no choice but to accept. Han Kyul's grandmother also made Han Kyul in charge of a filthy coffee shop in danger of being bankrupt. Eun Chan begged to work at the coffee shop, and not long after, feelings start to spark, except, how would Han Kyul accept his "homosexuality"?

Cast:
Yoon Eun Hye as Go Eun Chan
Gong Yoo as Choi Han Kyul
Lee Sun Gyun as Choi Han Sung
Chae Jung Ahn as Han Yoo Joo


My comments:
I absolutely understand why Coffee Prince is so popular; it's like a cool drink for this summer, it’s a trendy drama with a laid back feel including a popular and good looking cast; everything was calculated right. I enjoyed the drama but I did not enthusiastically love it as the mass did. I was pretty unfocused during the first 4 episodes. I wonder why is everyone is so crazy about it. I was a bit grossed out by that jajangmyun competition in the first episode and some hygiene matters happening during the earlier part. It got better later and it was amusing to see Han Gyul doubting about his sexual orientation…It took 10 episodes for Han Gyul to know that Eun Chan is a girl and I think that was a bit too long. Then it took 2 episodes to talk about how angry and frustrated Han Gyul was which I thought was understandable but a bit draggy. Then the remaining episodes are purely saccharine sweet which made me cringe a bit, it’s overly mushy for my liking…ha! :p

Besides the main couple’s story, I was also interested in Han Sung and Yoo Joo’s story too. I initially didn’t like Yoo Joo but she’s a character that grows on me and at some point, I liked her more than Eun Chan. The side characters were all adorable too from the “Princes” of the coffee shop to the parents and grandmother. It’s particularly good to see Eun Chan’s mom and sister not as the annoying materialistic family members that you usually see in K-dramas. Big thumbs up for the OST, it’s so relaxing and comfortable to listen on lazy days…

The "Princes" of the coffee shop

* Opening credit of the drama

No comments: