Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Snow in August

Finally finished Snow in August (SBS, 20 episodes)…man, I’m still a little depressed…

Snow in August Synopsis (from DramaWiki)
Jo Dong Hyuk will be playing a 27 year old single with a six year old son who falls for Choo Sang Mi, a thirty-three year old divorcee. Her husband cheated on her and she suffers from the pain of losing their son in a car accident 3 years ago. This drama is about how the two meet and through a child they heal each other wounds.

Cast:
Jo Dong Hyuk as Han Dong Woo
Choo Sang Mi as Oh Ban Suk
Park Tam Hee as Kang Mi Soo
Yoo Tae Joon as Oh Jong Hyuk
Choi Joon Yong as Na Wang Bae
Lee Yeon Joo as Baek Hong Hwa


My comments:
A drama with a child death, a cheating husband and a shameless mistress is not something that I want to watch when I’m not in my happiest mood these days. It started and ended very dramatic with a lighter tone in the middle. The reasons why I kept watching was Chu Sang Mi’s fantastic acting (just watch the first episode and you’ll know what I mean) and for a more shallow reason, Jo Dong Hyuk! (I remember him as the chauffeur of the clumsy loan shark in Miss Kim’s Adventure of Making a Million) The first two episodes can be slow at times but if you can endure it, then what comes later is quite interesting, this is not a bad drama at all.

The story at first reminds me a bit of Crazy For You, which I saw earlier. It’s about a woman falling for the one who accidentally killed their loved ones. But in Snow in August, the cruel fate brought us not one but two pairs of doomed lovers – Dong Woo/Ban Suk and Mi Soo/Jong Hyuk. We know that it was Dong Woo who accidentally kill Ban Suk’s son, Da Bin, but it’s impossible to hate him and you just wish that the truth will never be exposed. But it’s a drama afterall, so it has to happen and it’s so painful to see it coming. I find it suffocating watching the last 3 episodes when everything is revealed and how the characters were experiencing two blows at the same time. Every character (except Jong Hyuk) had some responsibilities for Da Bin’s death. I wasn’t really into the Jong Hyuk and Mi Soo relationship. I just can’t like Mi Soo; she ran away home abandoning her crying child without any supervision at home, that’s so unforgivable!

I really have to mention about the adulterous couple here: Wang Bae and Hong Hwa, the most despicable pair EVER! Seeing them together or just foxy Hong Hwa alone on screen makes my blood boil! Hong Hwa is a character who I detest to the max and I’m so happy to see their reversal of fortune, I have no sympathy towards them whatsoever, although they have a tiny bit of conscience at the end but it’s all too late. Hong Hwa in this drama makes Sae Yeon in Bad Couple look like an angel…

I think the ending is meant to give viewers some optimism but no matter how I see it, it looks like a pessimistic ending! Sigh...

The two pairs ill-fated couples on the left side and the adulterous couple on the right side

No comments: