Sunday, September 9, 2007

Legend of Hyang Dan

Ah…a short drama like Legend of Hyang Dan (MBC, 2 episodes) is what I need these days…

Legend of Hyang Dan Synopsis (from DramaWiki)
The drama is a twist to the well known classic story of The Legend of Chun Hyang. The big question revolving around this plot is what if the one that Lee Mong Ryong loves is not Chun Hyang but Hyang Dan? The drama will deliver a refreshing new comedy style.

Cast:
Choi Si Won as Lee Mong Ryong
Seo Ji Hye as Hyang Dan


My comments:
I normally don’t watch Korean ancient drama, but this one is only 2 episodes, so it’s harmless. I also enjoyed watching the twisted snippets of Delighful Girl Chun Hyang, and this time it’s Lee Mong Ryong loving the maid instead of Chun Hyang, so why not give this a try as well? It turned out that I enjoyed tremedously this short drama, it’s hilarious funny and I did get teary at some point. I espceially like the parts where they use musical segments when people gossips…it’s very cute! Since it’s a twisted version of such classic story, I had no idea what to expect coming, so there were some surprises. I burst out laughing when they were playing the song from Fantasy Couple and when the thieves and Byun Hak Do’s men kept on throwing back the evidences back to each other…so juvenile haha! It seems like they fused stories and characters from other folktales and because I’m not familiar with the language and the original stories, I missed a lot of jokes and gags. Sigh…

The tales that I’m sure they incorporated are:
Chun Hyang’s story
Shim Chong’s story

1 comment: