Sunday, September 30, 2007

Secret

Me, as a Jay Chou fan, of course I have to support his directorial debut!

Secret Synopsis (from Yesasia)
Lun (Jay Chou) lives with his father, Chiu (Anthony Wong), the music teacher of Tamkang Secondary School. Both of them are very good at music and piano.

On the first day of Tamkang Secondary School, Lun walks through the campus with his classmates, a mysterious piano solo draws his attention. He follows the song and finds that an ethereal girl is playing piano in the old music room.

The piano girl is Yu (Guey Lun-Mei), one of Lun's classmates. She is always late for school and hence sits next to Lun at the back row. The two become intimate friends and spend a lot of time together. “What's the melody you played the first day we met?” asked Lun, “That's my secret.” Yu whispered in his ear.


My comments:
When this movie was released in Asia, I avoided all reviews and spoilers, hoping to enjoy this movie fully. I’m glad I did because it’s beyond my expectations and I didn’t see that twist/secret coming. Just by reading the summary, I was like…bah…it’s gonna be a terminal disease twist again in the form of Korean melodramas…but I was W-R-O-N-G! It's not something we haven't seen before but it kinda worked this time. However, with a twist like this, flaws, illogic and confusion are present. I think I understood the whole thing but then again, I’m still confused in some aspect. Anyway, a good movie with likeable performances from the leads (err…I can’t really say that Jay is fantastic in the acting department yet) and great music…haha as a fan, watching my idol playing piano is always a delight! Don’t worry, Secret is not a Jay’s self-promotion, self-advertisement or even self-directing MV type of movie; it has story and ‘heart’…

No comments: