Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Diary

Diary Synopsis (from Yesasia)
The dour and volatile Winnie (Charlene Choi) likes to make wooden puppets and write in her diary. After her boyfriend Seth leaves her, Winnie becomes increasingly emotionally and psychologically unstable. At the urging of her friend (Isabella Leong), she starts a new relationship with Seth-lookalike Ray (Shawn Yue), but the relationship soon makes the same downward spiral as before. As the situation worsens, so too does her grasp of reality. Or perhaps none of this is real in the first place. The answers all lie in her diary...


My comments:
An ex-coworker recommended Diary (well, Twins girls are his guilty pleasure!) and my cousin also said it wasn’t too bad (did you, p.w? :p) so why not watching it despite my biases against Twins. I might turn off the radio or switch channel when I hear/see them sing but when it comes to acting, I’m more lenient toward them. Also, it’s the movie that got Ah Sa 2 best actress awards so I have to see how great she is here…Anyway back to the movie, wow, it bores more than thrills! It’s messy, disjointed and slow at the beginning and it’s visually dark for like 85% of the movie. The first 30 minutes didn’t have much happening and I was constantly checking the time. It tried to build a mysterious atmosphere but it didn’t work for me; however, the ending managed to surprise me a bit and gave me some chills though. Ah Sa did improve and became more mature as an actress and I also found her pronunciation better but that’s basically it…

1 comment:

p.w. said...

yeah, i thought the movie wasn't too bad. sure, nothing really happens. and the scenes don't make much sense. but i like how it was all explained in the end.

i was kind of impressed with the acting, as i had only seen twins in comedic form. this was a nice change.