Monday, October 8, 2007

Wonder Women

Wonder Women Synopsis (from Yesasia)
Gigi Leung stars as the main "Wonder Woman", Joy Shing, a respected professional and a loving mother, who is promoted to Chief Financial Officer of her company on the very same evening that her husband To Lam (George Lam) is ousted as CEO. His replacement is the handsome, Mainland-connected Ching Bit-Chung (Nie Yuan), who has his own romantic designs on Joy. But Joy has little time for romance, with both financial and personal losses mounting. Her neighbor (Hui Siu Hung) cheats her out of millions of dollars, leading to a bitter falling out with her childhood sweetheart (Kevin Cheng). Also, her husband falls deep into debt, and the ensuing spiral of misfortune threatens to tear their family apart. But with the outbreak of SARS comes Joy's most terrible loss of all.


My comments:
I didn’t have much expectation before watching it because I read contradictory opinions. I like it and I find it meaningful and moving although it’s way too dramatic and sometimes manipulative. I haven’t seen an unfortunate character like Gigi’s Joy for such a long time in HK stuff. It talked about her ups and downs within the last decade and there were more downs than ups in her case as she really lost a lot of things. Was it necessary to it that depressing? It’s sad to see her going through so many hardships but it’s also a relief to see her succeeding at the end and finding hope. The movie included real news footages of the big events that happened in HK since the handover and it’s actually sad to recall back the economic crash and SARS.

I haven't seen Gigi Leung in a long time; I'm glad that she chose to play a bold character in this movie, a very different her and I think she did great. She shows signs of aging though. Fiona continues to irritate me with the way she speaks but I like her character’s attitude at work. I cracked up when she said “Actually, I dislike giraffes”…haha…those who follow her news will know why it’s funny. Nie Yuan is quite charming as the young CEO and I was rooting for him to end up with Gigi…too bad that most men in this movie are portrayed as jerks! Sigh…

No comments: