Saturday, October 20, 2007

Get Karl! Oh Soo Jung

I had some expectations for Get Karl! Oh Soo Jung (SBS, 16 episodes), but I'm disappointed after finishing it...

Get Karl Oh Soo Jung Synopsis (from DramaWiki)
Go Man Soo is a world known golf player who was dumped by a former beauty queen, Oh Soo Jung, seven years ago. Their fate becomes reversed when Oh Soo Jung who is now known as an old maid comes chasing after Man Soo who is now a 'golden bachelor' with good looks and money.

Cast:
Oh Ji Ho as Go Man Soo / Karl
Uhm Jung Hwa as Oh Soo Jung
Kang Sung Jin as Jung Woo Tak
Park Da An as Yook Dae Soon


My comments:
I have to confess that despite I like the leads, I didn’t find this drama particularly exciting or funny. In fact, I found the whole “vengeance- testing if the woman really love me" thing very 無聊 and lame. I needed 4 episodes to warm up to this drama and the characters. The fat makeup/suit that Oh Ji Ho wore in the beginning was an attention grabber and it looks convincing face wise because he was really unrecognizable under it.

Character wise, Soo Jung was shallow, matrerialistic, shameless, rude; she almost had no redeeming quality at the beginning. In the middle, we understand that she is like this because of her responsibilities toward her family (a father who is jobless, a young stepbrother and a mother who is always in debt!), she had to choose financial security over love. She became a pitiful character and the victim since then. It’s also interesting that she cannot tear even when she’s sad but when she is betrayed by Man Soo, she teared for like 10 hours. Uhm Jung Hwa is really good at holding her tears and I cried with her when she bursted out.

However, I wasn’t really into the romance between Soo Jung and Man Soo. I found myself rooting for the second lead, Woo Tak, more and more instead. His change from being a swindler with the mission to deceive Soo Jung to ending up loving her for real was more interesting to watch and could be expanded. It’s great to see Woo Tak as someone who is not despicable for trying to separate Soo Jung and Man Soo; he even became Soo Jung's reliable friend and helping Soo Jung and Man Soo to get back together at the end. Now, Dal Soon is an evil witch. She presents herself like an angel in front of people but she can stab you behind. I think those kind of people are the scariest. Finally, I think the biggest problem with this drama is that the four leads don’t have much chemistry with each other. When it the drama ended, I didn’t have any lingering feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with you, this drama is quite lame- soo jung's character can be very two dimensional, fake and just plain bitchy. BUT She and 'Karl' both just look too damn good together, so i'm gonna follow this till the end. (Man! 'Soo Jung''s eyes are so captivating and 'Karl' is just god-like, i'm hooked!)