Thursday, December 25, 2008

Butterfly Lovers

Butterfly Lovers Synopsis: (from Yesasia)
Life is fleeting as the butterfly, beautiful yet transient. As legend has it, a pair of butterfly lovers re-appears once more after having gone through three lifetimes of repeated pain and tears. This time, they find each other in the world of martial arts. Liang is highly skilled in martial arts and resides in the mountains. When his Master tasks him to take care of Zhu, a girl from a wealthy family who dresses as a guy to hide herself from a revenge, it sparks off the painful journey that they must go through once again. Zhu’s father, in order to repay the kindness shown to him, has betrothed her to a General Ma although Zhu is in love with Liang. Love can fester into hate in some while in the selected few, it can lead to undying love that survives one lifetime after another.


My comments:
I read a lot of criticisms regarding this version of Butterfly Lovers. I didn't think it was that mediocre but it isn't wonderful as well. I was into the story, I cried at the end but I wasn't as moved as I should be as I thought it was a bit shallow. There are a few laughs here and there but the biggest comedy effect was Harlem Yu dubbing his own voice in the Cantonese version. I swear how he delivered his lines are just so LOL hilarious because it's so heavily accented and so Mandarin that I have rely on the subs (similar to Jay Chou's case in Initial D).

The love between Charlene Choi and Wu Chun was cute to watch, they had good chemistry and they were passable in their roles, so was Hu Ge. I thought that He Ge had a meatier role than Wu Chun and I had sympathy for Hu Ge until he slaps Charlene for refusing to marry him, he did love Charlene but just over passionate in the wrong way. Harlem Yu was very likeable too.

My problems with this movie: there are some random dialogues that seem so out of place that is laughable, check out what were the dialogues after Wu Chun and Hu Ge's bloody duel at the end. (~roll eyes~) Next, the part with the fake death pill, it's so Romeo and Juliet. Although the legend of Butterfly Lovers share some tiny similarities with Romeo and Juliet but they are two completely different things therefore, by using this important aspect of Romeo and Juliet, it made this adaptation unoriginal.

No comments: